The Ultimate Guide to Smashed Potatoes,” will cover everything you need to know about this delicious dish. We will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to prepare smashed potatoes, including different variations, tips, and tricks.
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes, also known as crushed or mashed potatoes, are a simple yet unique dish. They are not very well known in some parts of the world, which is a shame, as they are easy to prepare and delicious. The unconventional form of smashed potatoes is another reason why they are so popular.
The Origin of Smashed Potatoes
Smashed potatoes have their roots in North America, where they are a staple dish during Thanksgiving. Although mashed potatoes are the traditional side dish during Thanksgiving dinner, other potato dishes such as smashed potatoes, potato casserole, baked potatoes, and roasted potatoes are also served as alternatives.
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
Making smashed potatoes is a straightforward process. All you need are potatoes, salt, pepper, and some herbs of your choice. Follow these simple steps to make delicious smashed potatoes:
- Boil the potatoes – Wash the potatoes thoroughly, leave the skin on, and boil them in water for about 25 minutes until they are soft.
- Smash the potatoes – After boiling, place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, drizzle them with olive oil, and smash them lightly with a fork or potato masher. They should be pressed enough to create more surface area but not completely mashed.
- Season the potatoes – Sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes and brush them with garlic-infused oil or butter. Add herbs like parsley, thyme, or rosemary for an extra kick of flavor.
- Bake the potatoes – Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake the potatoes for 15 minutes until crispy.
Variations of Smashed Potatoes
You can always experiment with smashed potatoes by adding your favorite flavors and toppings. Here are some variations to try:
- Smashed potatoes with cheese – Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the potatoes before baking.
- Smashed potatoes with bacon – Add some crispy bacon bits to the potatoes after baking.
- Smashed potatoes with sour cream – Serve the potatoes with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped chives.
- Smashed sweet potatoes – Substitute sweet potatoes for regular potatoes for a sweeter, healthier twist.
Tips for Perfect Smashed Potatoes
- Choose the right potatoes – Use waxy or all-purpose potatoes like Yukon Gold or Red Bliss potatoes for the best results.
- Don’t over boil the potatoes – Overcooked potatoes will result in mashed potatoes instead of smashed potatoes.
- Use parchment paper – Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper will prevent the potatoes from sticking to the sheet.
- Use a fork or potato masher – You don’t need a fancy gadget to smash the potatoes; a fork or potato masher will do just fine.
- Don’t overcrowd the potatoes – Leave enough space between the potatoes on the baking sheet to ensure they cook evenly.
Smashed potatoes are a delicious and simple dish that can be prepared in many different ways. By following our step-by-step guide, you can easily make perfect smashed potatoes every time. Whether you’re looking for a side dish or a snack, smashed potatoes are a versatile and tasty addition to any meal.